Sunday 10 October 2010

All Suped-up, and Getting Nowhere


I remember one evening, walking down a street in South Belfast, and I saw something that embedded itself in my memory, as if I knew that it was a metaphor for something I would later be able to make use of. And, here is me, making use of it.

I saw a sporty looking car, all done up with the expensive alloys and spoiler. I can guess from the outside, that the inside was all rigged up with a pretty impressive sound-system, because you could feel the bass from the relative safety of the pavement.

The thing that struck me, and amused me to no end, was that this impressive looking machine was maneuvering its way over speed bumps, which reduced this snazzy looking car to a snail's pace: the car's lower-than-average body emitting nasty crunching sounds as it passed over the humps.

This made me think about how we humans often create elaborate stories of significance about ourselves. Stories of significance, that are an attempt to set us apart from the rest: from our families, from our work colleagues, from our cultures. Yet, at least in my own experience, these stories of significance, as we make our way through life, can become a hindrance to our getting anywhere that we might want to go.

But, some of us would rather cruise around in circles, being all different n'all, feigning more significance than anyone else, than go explore the barren-plained wildness of the ordinary.

But maybe that's just me trying to be different.

Never underestimate the human desire to he holy, elect, and set apart...some people would go through persecution just to maintain it.

No comments:

Generation of Men

A Generation of Men A generation of men, that didn't cry a generation that weren't allowed to a generation of strong soldiers ...